Thursday 29 September 2011

Mark 31:1

Yes, I'm in a Markan mood; this title is meant to reflect the experience my husband and I had as we stepped out of Central Station in Sydney yesterday and looked up at all the tall, tall buildings.*

Since my grandparents followed us to Adelaide in the mid-1980s, I haven't regularly spent time in Sydney, but it was exciting to re-visit familiar places like Hyde Park and taste familiar names on one's tongue: Pitt Street; Castlereagh Street; Circular Quay. Yum.

Of course, people are people, wherever you go, but we encountered two of the least helpful information booth attendants I've met in a long time yesterday.

An example of our interactions:

"Excuse me, what bus do I catch to get to Sydney University?"

"Anything with a four."

Oh ... and it turns out I was on the wrong street, anyway. Thanks, mate.

But today we have some time for tourism, so we're going to 'Simpson it up' on ... The Monorail! Looking forward to it.





* The NRSV translation reads: 
As he came out of the temple, one of his disciples said to him, "Look, Teacher, what large stones and what large buildings!"
Jesus then goes on to foretell the destruction of said buildings, a sense of impending doom Peter and I didn't share yesterday!  
 
(You're right; I'm not a Christian any more. However, Christians don't exclusively own ancient texts. And sharing is a virtue.)

2 comments:

  1. I commented on this - twice- and it got eaten up. Just to say that the Bible is part of our culture and since you studied it I think it will always be part of you.
    GLenys

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Glenys,

    Double apologies - to the stupid software for swallowing your comments (if it's any consolation, it's clearly been feeling hungry today and has also consumed my first few attempts to reply!) and for being tardy in getting back to you.

    I think you're right on both counts.

    Also - I met another lovely Glenys at the conference! Just joyful.

    cheers,
    Catie

    ReplyDelete