Sunday 6 January 2013

It's over! (Phew)

Well, Australia finally wrapped up the third Test against Sri Lanka in Sydney today - and I heaved a sigh of relief.

I love test cricket; it's the only spectator sport I really follow. However, there's always a sense of relief at the end of a series of tests: those long days of listening to the radio, visualizing the play (and running to the TV when something exciting happens!), getting a feel for the ebb and flow of a game ... all that exhausting mental activity is past. I love my game, but it does deplete me.

Actually, I have an admission to make. This final test defeated me. I was having a little siesta when Mitchell Johnson edged the last single to take Australia to victory. My husband gave me a ball-by-ball description of the final two overs, though, so I feel all "caught up"; and, naturally, Michael Hussey was feted on the evening news: Mr Cricket has left the pitch for the last time.

So that's it for a little while; Australia are playing a series against the West Indies starting later this month, then in June there will be the always-anticipated Ashes series - but for now, I'll have to try and make do with the "white bread" diet of limited over games.

Who knows? I may even attend my first T20 game. Stranger things have happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment