Thursday 28 April 2011

Bach v Housework: To be Martha or Mary?

Less than an hour left before my first meeting of the day, which luckily is here at home. Overslept after the exhaustions of yesterday so thought I'd pop on some Bach concertos to pep me up. Slight miscalculation: am now too caught up in the musical narrative to vacuum ... or move away from the laptop ... this is why I need to keep my iPod charged at all times!

I find that, while I am no longer a Christian, Biblical texts are deeply imprinted in my mind; tattooed by years of practice. So I am taking solace from the story in Luke's gospel and, in this moment, am choosing to be listening Mary rather than bustling Martha.

There'll be plenty of Martha-like activity in the rest of the day to make up for these few minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment