Sunday 17 April 2011

Writer's Group

Today, my four-weeks-and-first day in Melbourne, I tried something new: I attended a writer’s group.
This was definitely outside my comfort zone!
For the last six years, I’ve only written academic pieces and speeches – and one piece of fiction, a “thank you” story for a special person left behind in Adelaide; so you could say I was sorely underprepared to attend a writer’s group. But I’ve been feeling somewhat socially isolated since arriving over here, and know I need to put myself out there – so along I went. (Previous readers: yes, I’ve been lacking a sense of “relatedness” lately! One of my Big Four.)
I felt some trepidation: would they be poncy word-snobs? Would there be bitchiness and backstabbing? Would they be open and welcoming, or closed to outsiders?
I chose the group I attended after looking at a website of Victorian writers groups; on the basis of a few words on a screen, I made a fairly arbitrary selection ... and trusted my intuition.
I chose well. Three men, seven women, age-skewed to the mature; some published, some not, with works from children’s picture books to novel chapters presented. I decided I would “put myself out there” and read the first two scenes of the piece I’d taken along. The feedback was both kind, constructive and particular – “you had a split infinitive on page two” – just what I’d hoped for, but was almost too nervous to anticipate. I wouldn’t say they were blown away by what I’d written – I’d say they’re not great science fiction fans, for starters! – but it was gratifying to hear that  it was well written.
It was a really great example of positive community: purposeful, supportive, truthful (within the bounds of compassion) ... I was really impressed, and grateful, and am looking forward to next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment