Monday 1 August 2011

Finding Beauty in Melbourne

It's been 19 weeks and 2 days since I moved to Melbourne, and while I still miss Adelaide very much, I continue to focus on finding beauty and good things in my new home.

Here are my Top Four Joyful Discoveries of the last few weeks:

4. Wilson Botanic Gardens
OK, I know I've mentioned this beautiful open space numerous times in previous postings, but these gardens really are worth a trip out to Berwick. Some of the trees are a little confused at present with the apparent change of season - who isn't? - but the variety of plantings, walks and sculptures make this a "must see" in the south eastern suburbs. Enjoy a cup of tea down Berwick's main street afterwards, with its convenient centre parking - a space always seems to open up, just when you need one!

3. South Melbourne Markets
Wow! Great food, yummy cakes, and the shop where I found the purple dress I've been sporting with joy the last couple of weeks. Might almost qualify as "a smaller version of Adelaide Central Markets". (Almost.)

2. Driving East along the Monash at Sunset
My husband and I did this on Saturday afternoon. I was driving and first noted the quality of the light reflected off the bridges, sound barriers and roadside vegetation; then Peter looked back and saw the stratified sunset behind us. I think the urban planners did a great job planting along the Monash, and seeing the various gardens bathed in rose-gold light was a real treat.

1. The Beach at Beaumaris
Admittedly, I saw this during lunchtime last Friday when the sun was shining strong and the temperature was warm - so I've probably seen it in its best possible light, for this time of year. However, new to this city as I am, I never realized there were beaches like this within Melbourne. I'd been to South Melbourne and St Kilda, where footpaths are separated from sand by cement pathways, but here there are strips of trees ... and sandstone cliffs to the south! I went home in rapture.


This picture is looking south; I only had the camera on my mobile phone with me, which was unable to do justice to the cliffs from afar.

Being in a new city isn't just about making new friends, it's about finding or creating a sense of 'home' in the midst of a new geography. For me, finding places or things I can connect with emotionally is a big part of this process. The search continues!

4 comments:

  1. So true. I haven't moved heaps but enough to wonder where home is. Creating a sense of home is a complex thing. You are getting there.
    Glenys

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Glenys! Need the supportive reminder sometimes that "home" is getting closer ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved reading of your favourite things. Especially when you mentioned Beaumaris.Felt a little tug on my heart as it brought back fond childhood memories of holidays at Nanna Laidlaws lovely Beaumaris home and happy summers staying at the "Red Bluff" Hotel in Sandringham and playing on those beautiful beaches you mention.Wonder if Peter remembers those days. Was a long time ago and he was quite young.I must go back soon. Thank You for taking me back to a lovely place. Marg.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Marg! I can't wait to hear whether Pete remembers this! It might jog something for him. There's just so much of this big city I know nothing about yet ... lots to see and do. A family friend is over from the UK, so today I was up Croyden way - haven't been out there since Paulie and Michael left Melbourne, I don't think! Lovely green suburbs and a different type of land altogether.

    ReplyDelete