Friday 6 September 2013

Not-so-Small Mercies

Today I am reminding myself of the not-so-small mercies with which I am endowed:

  • I have continuous access to potable water, simply by turning on a tap.
  • I will fall asleep tonight having eaten three nutritious meals today (and, I must admit, some not-so-nutritious snacks in between!)
  • I can read, carry out arithmetic, and have - so far as I am aware - uncensored access to the internet; in other words, I can access most useful information I need to survive in this world, and have the capacity to work with it.
  • I am a white Australian woman living in the 21st century: this makes me one of the luckiest women who has ever lived.
  • I am an Australian citizen and can benefit from our wonderful Medicare system.
  • I live with an amazingly compassionate, tolerant, loving partner, and I have some wonderful friends and family who care for me deeply.
  • I have met more than my fair share of inspirational, caring, creative, out-of-left-field types who have opened my eyes to 'see the unseen'.
You know what? Typing this list has made me appreciate these things all over again.

Do you have any small mercies - or even not-so-small mercies - to celebrate today?

No comments:

Post a Comment