Sunday 12 June 2011

The Decision

Three days ago, I determined to attempt my first half-marathon in Melbourne on Sunday, 9th October.

I don't regret the decision at all, but it's already affecting my life, particularly the way I experience running.

Running has been a regular part of my life for a couple of years now, building in intensity over the last eleven months; I had been contemplating whether to take the next step and aim for something "big", something "public", for a while. The clincher came when I downloaded some free software which works with my phone's inbuild GPS as a coaching guide. I went out for an Assessment Workout and learnt I was far fitter and faster than I had thought. So I asked the computer to generate a training schedule for me, and ... well, now I run with a little black box in my hand which tells me what to do.

Have you heard the line about indigenous Australians laughing at white colonists who looked at the little thing (their watch) which tell them what to do? That's what my last two runs have been like.

It's all fine and dandy when the electronic voice wants me to take it easier than I usually would at the start of a workout: "Slow down to blue zone." "Slow down to blue zone." "Maintain blue zone." And it's even OK when it asks me to speed up to my usual pace after the first five or ten minutes: "Increase pace to green zone." "Maintain green zone." But I live in quite hilly terrain; what is quite irritating is when it calmly invites me to "Increase pace to green zone" as I'm struggling up a hill. Then, rejoicing in the freedom of easy running down the other side: "Decrease pace to green zone." No way! This is the best bit!

I notice that, despite two fairly long runs the last two days, I haven't once reached running-Zen-state - not even for a few minutes. I'm also coming back from runs much more weary then before I started listening to that electronic voice. I think both these phenomena can be attributed to the facts that it's pushing me to run faster than usual, and because my natural runnig rhythms are being disrupted.

However, I have faith in whatever supercomputer processed my personal data, my goal and spat out a series of dates, times and training regimes. Barring injury or illness, 9th October is shaping up to be a big day in my life.

OK; I'm off to do some extra stretching ...

4 comments:

  1. October 9 is the date of my first half too! I'm not up to fully running. Just can't break past a mental barrier. Any tips? What app have you been using?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Catie. Good for you. Not joining you with this one. I run with Chris and he just says things like "I knew you could do it." Love it!
    Keep up the good work.
    Glenys

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tips? Um ... what usually gets me out the door is my love of running (that sounds very corny but it's true), and what gets me up a hill - even when I'm muttering "I hate this, go away, why why why am I doing this?" - is the anticipation of the endorphin rush afterwards.
    Also: when I started running seriously, I asked a friend who was also a runner and a doctor about how I'd know if I were going at it too hard. He said, "well, if you feel the need to vomit, pull back. And if you do vomit, well, you can keep running afterwards, if you want to." Pretty extreme advice! But a great lesson in how our mind can trick us into thinking "I can't go on" when, unless our body is giving us actual data (in the form of vomitous nausea) we probably can't.
    I try to run regardless of how I'm feeling EXCEPT if I've injured myself, in which case I stop immediately.
    The app I'm using is miCoach by adidas. I really like it, except when it tells me to go faster uphills! I'm just using it on my phone, not linked to any other hardware, so it's purely pace-based. I also use a Polar heart rate monitor which I've had a few years - an oldie but a goodie.
    Good luck and let me know what works for you! Where will you be running on 9th October?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh - _not_ that I'm trying to promote adidas per se: I wear different shoes, for instance, and don't own any other adidas gear - but I am finding some of their resources quite useful, especially the pages on pre-run warm-ups and nutrition. Googling "miCoach adidas" will get you there!

    ReplyDelete