Sunday 19 June 2011

I don't feel like training today

Sunday morning; grey skies; chill air. I don't want to go running today!

However, I will rise to the challenge. (Really.) I will gather my willpower around me like chain metal, run through some stretches, strap on my heart rate monitor and go out that door. (All in good time.) I will slip my feet into those runners and pound that pavement until my allocated hour is up. (When I'm properly awake, of course; no need to get silly ...)

I need some inspiration. I turn to my companion in matters of the mind: J. S. Bach; in particular, the third movement of one of his violin concertos*. I identify - in an aspirational sense - with two sections of this short piece. When I listen to it, I think: "I AM that persistent ostinato solo note in the last minute which holds its place despite the mounting pressure of those ascending chords and key changes beneath." I also think: "I AM those ascending sequences played by the soloist which just keep going onwards and upwards, onwards and upwards."** I am strong; I persist; and I surprise myself. I really do.

Great! Willpower gathered. Heart rate monitor on. Jelly babies in hand. I can do this, I am going to do this, and out the door I go .........



* BWV 1042, Allegro Assai, for the truly interested
** The truly interested will laugh, knowing that I've listed these in reverse order than these segments appear in the music; but I'll take my inspiration any way I like it, thank you

No comments:

Post a Comment