Tuesday 7 June 2011

The Winter Of My Content

Yes, folks, I've been in Melbourne eleven-weeks-and-three-days - and now winter's hit.

How I miss the milder Adelaide weather!

However, a successful human being is one who takes whatever life throws at them, and turns it into a positive; so today I have made a determined effort to enjoy this bleakness.

Tuesdays aren't my favourite day of the week: it's the day I leave at 7am to drive to Frankston for some early-morning work; however, I was home by 9:35am, five minutes later than usual because I stopped off at the supermarket for some double-thick chocolate custard.

The rest of the day I've kept warm, listened to the rain pummelling the house, finished a couple of books, done some writing, watched last night's episode of House, made the living and dining rooms beautifully clear and light, and limited myself to just one serving of chocolate cake topped with custard and warmed in the microwave.

(By the way - I wonder if there's a relationship between ambient temperature and raindrop diameter? I think cold rain sounds different to warm rain. Must look into it.)

Yesterday I resigned from a part-time job which was making me miserable. I'm beginning to feel the relief of that burden lifted from my life. When it comes to well-being, I'm a bit of a fan of recovery time: taking time out to get over something stressful.

I guess I can be grateful that today's horrible weather provided a great opportunity to stay indoors, stay warm and just take care of myself, physically and mentally.

Maybe this Melbourne winter does have something going for it, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment