Sunday 2 October 2011

Soaking up Sydney (and avoiding a reciprocal soaking)

The Philosophies of Travel conference is over - what a wonderful and vivid experience it was!

It surprises me that only today I realized the organizers (Alex and Annabel, respectively the kindest and best-dressed people in Sydney) had chosen the plural in the conference title. Of course, this was the clear and obvious choice - as was borne out by the amazing breadth of material covered - but a quirk of perception had hidden it from me.

I'm still reeling after the experience - such a rich diet of ideas over the last three days! - and need some assimilation time, I think, before I can attempt a meaningful summary; although I can certainly say that, as always, the opportunity to engage with active minds and grapple with concepts at the limit of one's experience always leaves me feeling invigorated and fully alive. Hooray!

Today was the second and last of our "holiday" days in Sydney and, having presented my paper, we were able to enjoy it singlemindedly. It's been lots of fun to wander the city, catch a ferry, visit Bondi (and almost literally be blown away by that experience), and re-board the ferry - just in time to avoid Sydney's huge raindrops. Despite the weather, I had a gelato out at South Head, reliving childhood memories (though fearful I'd end up wearing more than consuming it). We'll enjoy some more of the city this evening and visit The Rocks before heading out to the airport tomorrow.

Right now it's time to finish writing postcards (oops), enjoy a few minutes of quiet, and apologise to any Sydney friends or relatives who are reading this and perhaps feeling put out that we haven't caught up. I am sorry! It was a tightly scheduled visit, and with me busy for some days at the conference, it was important to spend time with my neglected husband.

It's been fun. We need to get away more!

3 comments:

  1. More details please. Who or what was the conference for and about. And your paper??
    So glad you enjoyed it all.
    Glenys

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops! Catie. I did see you told me a bit in answer to my previous comment. Who auspiced the conference. And with what intent? I'd love to read your paper.
    G

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi again - it was a joint venture between the Sydney Association for Literature and Aesthetics and the Religious Studies Department of Sydney Uni. I could send you through a copy of the paper when I've tidied it up for publication in the conference proceedings :) it's still a bit rough around the edges! But basically I looked at the use of considerations of location and the metaphor of travel in Mark's gospel, and then discussed parallels with my interior journey over the last little while.

    ReplyDelete