Saturday 2 July 2011

Half Marathon Training: Three Weeks In

Three weeks into the training programme for my first half marathon, and the biggest news this week is that I seem to have a better grip on the nutrition side of things. I must admit a couple of times during my first week of training I'd become a little light-headed, or head out with a leaden stomach, but now I've become much better at the timing and composition of meals to meet my body's needs.

I've become used to pace-based training with miCoach: this is fantastic news, because it makes achieving running-Zen-state possible, despite the instructions issuing from "the little black box that tells me what to do"! Having the confidence to tell it to get stuffed helps; I'm no longer phased if I'm running up a hill and it tells me to speed up, or if after 14km it suggests I go a little faster. I know I can go the distance, and that's what counts.

A highlight of this week was completing some quite long runs, and - today - seeing a dramatic improvement in my pace. I'm not particularly interested in speed, but it's nice to see those numbers coming down.

A lowlight has been the arrogance of two motorists who narrowly avoided hitting me on zebra crossings in broad daylight. "Might I suggest you review your road rules, my dear?" was what I calmly and politely mouthed to each of those charming individuals. (Of course that was what happened. No revisionist editing here!)

I've signed up for a 10km run in a couple of weeks' time, just to see what it's like running with a whole heap of other people, which is something I haven't done before.

Now that the novelty's worn off, I'll be interested to see how my motivation holds up. I've begun this project with great zeal: will this persist? Perhaps this will become more of a challenge in the weeks ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment