Saturday 16 July 2011

The night before the "event" (not calling it a "race" anymore)

Well, it's the night before my first run 'among many' since I was a kid. Despite being probably the least athletic child in the small country town I grew up in, I seem to remember placing in a local fun run once and winning a gift voucher to the local hardware store. I bought a yellow broom :) goodness only knows why! Actually the memory is returning - I think mum was with me and perhaps suggested it after I'd been looking around for something, anything, appealing among the nails, coils of electrical cord, chook feed, rat bait ...

It's a weekend of firsts; I was invited to brunch with another writer's group today (not the one I already attend). The people I got to speak with were all very interesting. I do love good conversation.

Anyway, returning to tomorrow morning. We live so far out of the CBD that we'll be getting up at 5:30 tomorrow ... *ugh* for me, a return to normal scheduling for my early bird husband who's been on holidays. The run is billed as a "race" but as, for me, it's not about speed I've re-termed it simply "event", at least inside my head. It'll be curious to see how running alongside a whole heap of other people goes ... will I be tempted to go out too hard at the start? Ah, it'll all be fine. It's just 10km.

So, here's the party line: I'm not anxious about a race, I'm curious about how I'll react to an event. Yeah - I can sell that to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment