Tuesday 19 July 2011

It's a Sibelius day today

There's been a return to the romantic in Catie's car over the last twenty four hours. With a couple of long drives yesterday afternoon and this morning, I've been able to listen to Sibelius' Violin Concerto in D Minor (Op. 47) three times in just over twelve hours.

I am so fortunate! What an age we live in; when the first version of this piece was originally performed (in 1904), not only would I not have been able to listen to a concerto at my convenience inside my own, personal vehicle - but I would not have had the social freedom, as a woman, to live my life as I choose to now.

Back to the music. My head is buzzing - there is just so much which I could write! I'll limit myself to one comment on each movement.

I remember writing about a year ago 'somewhere' (facebook? an email? I can't recall) that the first movement ("Allegro moderato") brought to mind the Australian landscape, with its sweeping broad openness and sometimes-bleak beauty. Then, a few months ago, I decided that was all rubbish. Today, what strikes me is its otherness: the soloist takes us on a voyage to a land that is almost alien in its soundscape, but safely brings us home.

The third movement ("Allegro Ma non Tanto") has always been a favourite of mine, hope springing from a dark place ... though sometimes the heaving waves of sound three quarters of the way through make me feel a little seasick!

And the second movement ... ah, that's what caught my heartstrings this time round. This "Adagio di Molto" seems to me to be speaking of love, reminding us that all love - even deeply, heatedly passionate love - is essentially a question asked and, if we are fortunate, answered.

As I begin to engage once more with Mark's gospel, this time from a radically different perspective, this reminder of "love as question" will give me yet another lens through which to regard that most dearly beloved text.


Endnotes

1. After drafting this, something good happened: listened to the second movement again, then went to yoga class. Catie's recommendation for today's transcendental experience.

2. My favourite recordings of this piece:
  • Pekka Kuusisto (no surprises there!) with Leif Segerstam and the Helsinki Philharmonic Orchestra
  • Viktoria Mullova with Seiji Ozawa and the Boston Symphony Orchestra.

No comments:

Post a Comment